Gamma Ray after a show in Barcelona, Spain.
|Thông tin nghệ sĩ|
|Nguyên quán||Hamburg, Germany|
|Thể loại||Heavy metal, power metal, speed metal|
|Hãng đĩa||RCA, FAD, Noise, Sanctuary, SPV/Steamhammer|
|Hợp tác||Helloween, Primal Fear, Iron Savior, Freedom Call|
|Thành viên hiện tại|
|Thành viên cũ|
Gamma Ray là một ban nhạc Power Metal kỳ cựu của nước Đức. Nhóm được ra đời nhờ công sức thủ lĩnh Kai Hansen (cựu ca sĩ/ nhạc công của Helloween). Năm 1990, họ ghi âm album đầu tay "Heading for Tomorrow" và gặt hái được danh tiếng nhờ phong cách âm nhạc mạnh mẽ và chiều sâu của giai điệu. Cùng năm đó, Gamma Ray thực hiện chuyến lưu diễn hải ngoại đầu tiên đến Tokyo, nơi buổi hòa nhạc của họ được thu âm và phát hành sau đó ít lâu với tên gọi "Heading for the East", một phiên bản live của "Heading for Tomorrow" cực kỳ ấn tượng.
- Kai Hansen - rhythm & lead guitar (1989–present), lead vocals (1994–present)
- Henjo Richter - lead & rhythm guitar, keyboards (1997–present)
- Dirk Schlächter - bass (1997–present), guitars (1990–1997)
- Dan Zimmerman - drums (1997–present)
- Alessio Gori - keyboards (2007–present)
- Ralf Scheepers - vocals (1989–1994)
- Uwe Wessel - bass (1989–1993)
- Jan Rubach - bass (1993–1997)
Guest studio musicians[sửa]
- Michael Kiske - vocals (1995) on Time to Break Free and Land of the Free, (2010) in All you need to know.
- Hansi Kürsch - vocals (1995) on Farewell and Land of the Free.
- Tommy Newton - guitars (1989, 1990, 1991)
- Tommy Hansen - keyboards (1991)
- Piet Sielck - vocals, keyboards, guitars (1989, 1990, 1991, 1997)
- Tammo Vollmers - drums (1989)
- Mischa Gerlach - keyboards (1989)
- Sascha Paeth - keyboards (1993, 1995)
- Thomas Stauch - drums (1997)
- Axel Mackenrott - keyboards (2005)
Guest live musicians[sửa]
- Henning Basse - vocals (2008)
- Jorn Ellerbrock - keyboards (1990)
- Mike Terrana - drums (1998)
- Dan Olding - keyboards (2001)
- Axel Mackenrott - keyboards (2004)
- Kasperi Heikkinen - guitars (2006, 2010)
- Eero Kaukomies - keyboards (2006, 2007)
- Michael Kiske - vocals (2011)
- Heading for Tomorrow (1990)
- Sigh No More (1991)
- Insanity and Genius (1993)
- Land of the Free (1995)
- Somewhere Out in Space (1997)
- Power Plant (1999)
- No World Order (2001)
- Majestic (2005)
- Land of the Free II (2007)
- To The Metal! (2010)
Gamma Ray have covered numerous bands and musicians during their career, including, but not limited to:
- Helloween - the former band of Kai Hansen. Some of their songs, written by Kai, are often performed by Gamma Ray live, such as "Ride the Sky," "I Want Out," "Save Us," "Victim of Fate" or "Future World."
- The song "Heavy Metal Mania" by the band Holocaust was covered one time in studio and many times live.
- Gamma Ray have covered Judas Priest's "Victim of Changes" with Kai on vocals and "Exciter" with Ralf. It has been stated in various interviews, that Judas Priest is one of Kai Hansen's favourite bands. They are also a favourite of Scheepers, as he left Gamma Ray during the tryouts for the new Judas Priest vocalist. He ultimately lost to Tim "Ripper" Owens. Additionally, Gamma Ray's song "Wings of Destiny" (where it is being sang "..on sad wings of destiny..") could be linked to Judas Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny, the album from which "Victim of Changes" originates.
- They also covered two Uriah Heep songs: "Look at Yourself" on the Heading for Tomorrow CD with Scheepers on vocals, and "Return to Fantasy," sung by Hansen, featured on 2003 release of Somewhere Out in Space.
- Gamma Ray covered the Pet Shop Boys song "It's a Sin" on their 1999 album Power Plant.
- Rainbow's Long Live Rock 'N' Roll, recorded by Gamma Ray was featured on the 2003 release of the Power Plant album.
- Gamma Ray covered the Thin Lizzy song "Angel of Death" on their 2001 single Heaven or Hell, which was released in Japan only.
- Gamma Ray have covered "Gamma ray," off the album Hoodoo Man, by Birth Control.